The Alderney Maritime Trust is honoured to have His Royal Highness Prince Andrew KG, KCVO as its patron. HRH has been very supportive of our efforts and is keen to be informed of progress on a regular basis. He last visited Alderney in 2005:
On 21 July, 2005, the project was honoured by its first visit from the Duke of York who arrived on the island by helicopter at 1315 hours in the company of His Excellency Sir John Foley, Lieutenant Governor of Guernsey. The Duke was greeted by the President of Alderney and Trust Chairman, Sir Norman Browse, and Trust Coordinator, Michael Harrisson. They accompanied the Duke to the maritime centre where he met the team and members of the Harbour Master’s office and was shown around by the Archaeological Director, Mensun Bound. Following this he was driven to the Alderney Museum at St Annes where he was greeted by the Chairman of the Alderney Society, Louis Jean, and then conducted around the wreck exhibition room by Mensun Bound in company with fellow trustee Mike Corfield, Museum Director, Peter Arnold and team member, Ann Smith. There followed a reception in the Museum conference room attended by Trustees, Senior Members of the Alderney Society and other guests whose support has been essential to the success of the project. The room had been decorated for the occasion by children of St Anne’s School using Elizabethan England and the Alderney wreck as their theme.